If you were to ask a random sampling of Booth regulars, “Who’s the next on the West?” it’s a good bet that nine out of 10 would immediately respond, “Nipsey Hussle.” Though there are plenty of worthy Left Coast up-and-comers to choose from, the South Central native’s unique blend of classic Cali style and new-school swagger reads like a recipe for breakout success—in other words, he’s just Gotta Make It. Sent to the Booth as a rough mix four months ago and recently passed along in mastered form, this mixtape cut was originally considered as a single off Hussle’s forthcoming debut album, and it shows; as Hussle delivers characteristically hard-nosed verses, Scram Jones serves up a laid-back beat brimming with classic West Coast appeal, and the memorable hook comes complete with the chilled-out vocal stylings of not one but two R&B guest artists: frequent Hussle collaborator June Summers is joined here by up-and-coming singer/rapper Tasleema. Easily one of the Slauson Boy’s most crowd-pleasing features to date, GMI can be found on Hussle’s Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol. 3 mixtape, set to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.