If you were to ask a random sampling of Booth regulars, “Who’s the next on the West?” it’s a good bet that nine out of 10 would immediately respond, “Nipsey Hussle.” Though there are plenty of worthy Left Coast up-and-comers to choose from, the South Central native’s unique blend of classic Cali style and new-school swagger reads like a recipe for breakout success—in other words, he’s just Gotta Make It. Sent to the Booth as a rough mix four months ago and recently passed along in mastered form, this mixtape cut was originally considered as a single off Hussle’s forthcoming debut album, and it shows; as Hussle delivers characteristically hard-nosed verses, Scram Jones serves up a laid-back beat brimming with classic West Coast appeal, and the memorable hook comes complete with the chilled-out vocal stylings of not one but two R&B guest artists: frequent Hussle collaborator June Summers is joined here by up-and-coming singer/rapper Tasleema. Easily one of the Slauson Boy’s most crowd-pleasing features to date, GMI can be found on Hussle’s Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol. 3 mixtape, set to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)