If you were to ask a random sampling of Booth regulars, “Who’s the next on the West?” it’s a good bet that nine out of 10 would immediately respond, “Nipsey Hussle.” Though there are plenty of worthy Left Coast up-and-comers to choose from, the South Central native’s unique blend of classic Cali style and new-school swagger reads like a recipe for breakout success—in other words, he’s just Gotta Make It. Sent to the Booth as a rough mix four months ago and recently passed along in mastered form, this mixtape cut was originally considered as a single off Hussle’s forthcoming debut album, and it shows; as Hussle delivers characteristically hard-nosed verses, Scram Jones serves up a laid-back beat brimming with classic West Coast appeal, and the memorable hook comes complete with the chilled-out vocal stylings of not one but two R&B guest artists: frequent Hussle collaborator June Summers is joined here by up-and-coming singer/rapper Tasleema. Easily one of the Slauson Boy’s most crowd-pleasing features to date, GMI can be found on Hussle’s Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol. 3 mixtape, set to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.