Booth favorite Nipsey Hussle knows he’s got what it takes to succeed on a national level, and, with 13 features under his belt, he’s got just about everyone in the Booth standing behind him. On this cut off Bullets Ain’t Got No Name (Vol. 3), the up-and-comer uses a quote from Biggie‘s Dangerous Emcees to explain what he’ll be doing once he hits it big: “Diamonds on my neck, chrome drop-top. Chillin on the scene…“ The subject matter is just what you’d expect from a Slauson boy with a taste for the gangsta classics, but Hussle elevates the cut with plenty of gritty quotables, and a few oddball gems that take a few spins to truly sink in; the couplet “So-so-ass rappers get no dough/ in the presence of this hip-hop Jacques Cousteau” seems both funnier and smarter with each repeat listen. S1‘s midtempo, piano-driven groove sets the right mood, but the underlying rhythm is a touch off-kilter—personally, I can’t decide if it’s intriguingly different or just kinda confusing. In any case, Hussle fans will want to check back with the Booth this summer, when BAGNN volume three and the emcee’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series are slated to hit our front page.
Written by richard on 05/28/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.