Booth favorite Nipsey Hussle knows he’s got what it takes to succeed on a national level, and, with 13 features under his belt, he’s got just about everyone in the Booth standing behind him. On this cut off Bullets Ain’t Got No Name (Vol. 3), the up-and-comer uses a quote from Biggie‘s Dangerous Emcees to explain what he’ll be doing once he hits it big: “Diamonds on my neck, chrome drop-top. Chillin on the scene…“ The subject matter is just what you’d expect from a Slauson boy with a taste for the gangsta classics, but Hussle elevates the cut with plenty of gritty quotables, and a few oddball gems that take a few spins to truly sink in; the couplet “So-so-ass rappers get no dough/ in the presence of this hip-hop Jacques Cousteau” seems both funnier and smarter with each repeat listen. S1‘s midtempo, piano-driven groove sets the right mood, but the underlying rhythm is a touch off-kilter—personally, I can’t decide if it’s intriguingly different or just kinda confusing. In any case, Hussle fans will want to check back with the Booth this summer, when BAGNN volume three and the emcee’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series are slated to hit our front page.
Listen to More: Nipsey Hussle
Written by richard on 05/28/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.