So many hard-nosed emcees turn to doormats when it comes time to write that ladies’ jam, filling their verses with mushy expressions of undying devotion and offering fabulously expensive gifts as if love were some kind of game show. Booth favorite Nipsey Hussle, however, is cut from a different cloth—though the Slauson boy is willing and able to provide for a lady, he’s not about to bend over backwards for a woman who doesn’t recognize him for the prize he is. Not that Hussle’s self-assurance is unwarranted—if he’s got Sade singing, “Sometimes I think you’re just 2 Good For Me,” he must be a catch. Over Scott Storch‘s sample of the sultry songstress’ ‘85 hit, The Sweetest Taboo, the West Coast emcee delivers some of the most inspired rhymes I’ve heard from him to date, spitting uniquely poetic couplets like “My body is a house, she put her mouth on my basement/taste a picture, paint a thousand words in body language.” Showcasing an intriguingly different side of the emcee, this record’s got me wondering what surprises Hussle has in store for his Bullets Ain’t Got No Name 3 mixtape and his Booth-exclusive freestyle (both coming this summer).
Listen to More: Nipsey Hussle
Written by richard on 05/13/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.