First things first: Not a Love Story, the first Booth feature from London newcomer Nikoo is, in point of fact, a love story… at least, in the sense that it revolves around a romantic relationship. Don’t expect any hearts, flowers or tender feelings, though—instead, this moody single is all about the anguish that can result when true love goes sour. The first single off beatsmith Charlie Hilton‘s forthcoming compilation album, this slow-burning selection finds the producer layering skittering synths over a lumbering rhythm section as the rising soul star addresses an ex whose memory he just can’t seem to shake off; of course, it doesn’t help that the girl in question tends to materialize whenever he’s “actin’ a little too single” at the local spot. The overall effect is considerably more bitter than sweet, but fans of left-of-center R&B vibes are sure to appreciate its moody style. Those who like what they’re hearing can expect plenty more scorching boardwork and diverse guest features on Hilton’s Pigeons and Planes-presented Collector’s Edition compilation, coming soon to an Internet near you.
Written by richard on 08/7/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.