First things first: Not a Love Story, the first Booth feature from London newcomer Nikoo is, in point of fact, a love story… at least, in the sense that it revolves around a romantic relationship. Don’t expect any hearts, flowers or tender feelings, though—instead, this moody single is all about the anguish that can result when true love goes sour. The first single off beatsmith Charlie Hilton‘s forthcoming compilation album, this slow-burning selection finds the producer layering skittering synths over a lumbering rhythm section as the rising soul star addresses an ex whose memory he just can’t seem to shake off; of course, it doesn’t help that the girl in question tends to materialize whenever he’s “actin’ a little too single” at the local spot. The overall effect is considerably more bitter than sweet, but fans of left-of-center R&B vibes are sure to appreciate its moody style. Those who like what they’re hearing can expect plenty more scorching boardwork and diverse guest features on Hilton’s Pigeons and Planes-presented Collector’s Edition compilation, coming soon to an Internet near you.
Written by richard on 08/7/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)