As his many fans in the Booth will recall, NIKO IS was born in Rio de Janeiro, and moved to Florida at the age of seven. On new single 2 Cents, the indie buzzmaker takes a little piece of his native country’s musical history and transplants it into a contemporary hip-hop context. Beatsmith Thanks Joey transforms Brazilian singer-songwriter Milton Nascimento’s Canoa Canoa into a lush backdrop for some triumphant, engagingly-flowed bars from the Nu South signee. Pablo Vasquez‘s official video—making its world premiere on our front page—rounds out the package. For 2 Cents and much more, cop NIKO’s Good Blood mixtape, released via the Booth in March.
Written by richard on 06/18/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoking Jacket" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.