Like every rapper on the come-up, Minneapolis newcomer Nikko Lafre faces a long, hard road to the top with no guarantee of safe arrival at this destination. But through bad times as well as good, he stays faithful to his hustle. After all, as he spits on this freshly-minted mixtape single, “This The Life I Chose.” K. Beatz‘s atmospheric production, driven by syncopated drum patterns and simmering synths, backs the unsigned buzzmaker as he touts his dedication to the grind in speedy, self-assured verses. St. Paul neighbor Taylor J. delivers an equally tenacious guest 16. The record concludes with some wise words from the late Pimp C: “We just stay true to it even when you know, everybody else was doing some different things. That’s all, just stay true to what you do.” Like what you’re hearing? More bangers await on Nikko’s Survival: Face the World LP, scheduled for free digital release on the 15th.
Written by richard on 12/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nights In Minneapolis" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.