Nikkiya‘s Booth debut and the lead single off her SpeakHer mixtape, When I Was High boasted a bass-bumping Supahot Beats instrumental that could just as easily have backed a monster rap record. Plus, the song was about drugs—any way you slice it, it was only a matter of time before a couple emcees jumped on the record for an official remix. Now that the inevitable has occurred, I’m happy to say that the ATL soul songstress could hardly have picked a better pair of collaborators for the job. Joining Nikikiya over her label boss’ tension-fraught string samples and heavily syncopated rhythm section, Strange Music head honcho Tech N9ne blazes the first in characteristically head-spinning style, detailing a fantastic bender that somehow results in him,“Wakin’ up inside the home of… Juliette Lewis.” Slumerican spitter Rittz brings his own hyperkinetic flows to the back, describing the mind-bending (and kinda terrifying) results of an “LSD and Special K” binge. So, Booth readers, are you digging this joint the second time around? You can find the original version and much more on Nikkiya’s Booth-sponsored street album, still available here for free streaming and download!
Written by richard on 11/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.