Just how big does Nikkiya do it on her latest mixtape? Well, if the up-and-coming crooner were cast as a character in the film Titanic, she’d play the iceberg. And her rivals? They’d be the hapless passengers trying to escape from the sinking ship. For proof, simply check out this standout cut (and opening track) off the project, which finds the ATL soul songstress showcasing a level of swag far outstripping her colleagues in the R&B game—in fact, she dwarfs quite a few rappers I could name. Project collaborator WillPower excels, as usual, on the production tip, as does songwriter Dorothy “THEDot” Wilson; over the SupahotBeats producer’s buzzing synths and syncopated rhythm section, Nikkiya exults in her growing power over the game: “Every day is a new conquest / Letting me know that I’m the best. / Not to brag, but it’s the truth / I was born to rock the booth.” Has this gargantuan selection whet your appetite for more? Then prepare to be blown away—currently holding a perfect, five-star record of reader reviews, the up-and-comer’s DJBooth.net-hosted SPEAKHER digital album is available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.