Just how big does Nikkiya do it on her latest mixtape? Well, if the up-and-coming crooner were cast as a character in the film Titanic, she’d play the iceberg. And her rivals? They’d be the hapless passengers trying to escape from the sinking ship. For proof, simply check out this standout cut (and opening track) off the project, which finds the ATL soul songstress showcasing a level of swag far outstripping her colleagues in the R&B game—in fact, she dwarfs quite a few rappers I could name. Project collaborator WillPower excels, as usual, on the production tip, as does songwriter Dorothy “THEDot” Wilson; over the SupahotBeats producer’s buzzing synths and syncopated rhythm section, Nikkiya exults in her growing power over the game: “Every day is a new conquest / Letting me know that I’m the best. / Not to brag, but it’s the truth / I was born to rock the booth.” Has this gargantuan selection whet your appetite for more? Then prepare to be blown away—currently holding a perfect, five-star record of reader reviews, the up-and-comer’s DJBooth.net-hosted SPEAKHER digital album is available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.