With her out-the-box Booth debut, sultry smokers’ anthem When I Was High, Nikkiya set herself up as a breed apart from your usual, romantically preoccupied R&B songstress. Of course, that’s not to say the A-Town native can’t rock a wounded-love ballad like nobody’s business—quite the contrary, in fact. On new single Nobody But Me, the up-and-coming crooner (and prolific hookwoman) puts her own spin on a classic premise. Fed up with her man’s callous disregard for her feelings but still in love despite it all, she soulfully struggles to break through his wall of ingratitude. Backed by Will Power‘s soft organ chords and rolling percussion rhythm, Nikkiya reminds the fella in question just how down she’s been for all these years, before asking him if he truly intends to let their love die: “I wanna stay, but will you change / or will you take me for granted until I fade away?” Does this understated yet powerful jam strike a chord? Then keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the August 15, release of free digital LP Speakher, as well as checking out this joint’s official video, viewable here.
Written by richard on 07/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.