With her out-the-box Booth debut, sultry smokers’ anthem When I Was High, Nikkiya set herself up as a breed apart from your usual, romantically preoccupied R&B songstress. Of course, that’s not to say the A-Town native can’t rock a wounded-love ballad like nobody’s business—quite the contrary, in fact. On new single Nobody But Me, the up-and-coming crooner (and prolific hookwoman) puts her own spin on a classic premise. Fed up with her man’s callous disregard for her feelings but still in love despite it all, she soulfully struggles to break through his wall of ingratitude. Backed by Will Power‘s soft organ chords and rolling percussion rhythm, Nikkiya reminds the fella in question just how down she’s been for all these years, before asking him if he truly intends to let their love die: “I wanna stay, but will you change / or will you take me for granted until I fade away?” Does this understated yet powerful jam strike a chord? Then keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the August 15, release of free digital LP Speakher, as well as checking out this joint’s official video, viewable here.
Written by richard on 07/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.