Though recording artists have a long tradition of drooling over technology (Little Red Corvette, anyone?) the fact remains that “cold, passionless, and predictable” are the last traits that most people look for in a lover. On Love Machine, a standout cut off her recent, Booth-sponsored street release, Nikkiya reminds us that there’s nothing sexy about a mindless automaton, venting her frustrations with a man who fulfills his romantic duties with all the verse and enthusiasm of a household appliance. Project collaborator Will Power mixes it up behind the boards, splitting the difference between harder-edged, rock-informed pop grooves (on the verses) and chillier R&B stylings (on the chorus) as the ATL crooner soulfully voices her dissatisfaction: “Do I gotta put some money in you to get some time? ‘Cause your sh*t shuts down at the drop of a dime.” Will he wake up before Nikkiya pulls the plug? We can only hope. In any case, you shouldn’t be sleeping on the artist’s Speakher street album, released in August and available on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 09/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.