Though recording artists have a long tradition of drooling over technology (Little Red Corvette, anyone?) the fact remains that “cold, passionless, and predictable” are the last traits that most people look for in a lover. On Love Machine, a standout cut off her recent, Booth-sponsored street release, Nikkiya reminds us that there’s nothing sexy about a mindless automaton, venting her frustrations with a man who fulfills his romantic duties with all the verse and enthusiasm of a household appliance. Project collaborator Will Power mixes it up behind the boards, splitting the difference between harder-edged, rock-informed pop grooves (on the verses) and chillier R&B stylings (on the chorus) as the ATL crooner soulfully voices her dissatisfaction: “Do I gotta put some money in you to get some time? ‘Cause your sh*t shuts down at the drop of a dime.” Will he wake up before Nikkiya pulls the plug? We can only hope. In any case, you shouldn’t be sleeping on the artist’s Speakher street album, released in August and available on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 09/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.