Though recording artists have a long tradition of drooling over technology (Little Red Corvette, anyone?) the fact remains that “cold, passionless, and predictable” are the last traits that most people look for in a lover. On Love Machine, a standout cut off her recent, Booth-sponsored street release, Nikkiya reminds us that there’s nothing sexy about a mindless automaton, venting her frustrations with a man who fulfills his romantic duties with all the verse and enthusiasm of a household appliance. Project collaborator Will Power mixes it up behind the boards, splitting the difference between harder-edged, rock-informed pop grooves (on the verses) and chillier R&B stylings (on the chorus) as the ATL crooner soulfully voices her dissatisfaction: “Do I gotta put some money in you to get some time? ‘Cause your sh*t shuts down at the drop of a dime.” Will he wake up before Nikkiya pulls the plug? We can only hope. In any case, you shouldn’t be sleeping on the artist’s Speakher street album, released in August and available on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 09/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.