Songstress Nikkiya has been quickly making a name for herself since the debut of her DJBooth hosted album SpeakHer. She managed to snag two Best of the Booth awards in 2011 and will be performing at The DJBooth Showcase at SXSW this March. When somebody has that kind of success going on, what do they do? Re-package and re-release the product to a larger audience, and that is exactly what Nikkiya is doing with SpeakHer Overload on March 20. New song Hold On Me will be featured on Overload, and the cut is most definitely a tasty one. Nikkiya’s beautiful and soulful voice sounds great over the WillPower produced track that is simple yet accentuates and builds when the time is right. The song doesn’t beat you over the head but rather allows the sensuality of having a crush on the verge of love to breathe and exist without drowned the song in over-produced sounds. The only downside to the track is that it’s 3:22 long; Hold On Me would’ve easily been listenable for far longer.
Written by JC Poppe on 02/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.