When you’ve already made one of the better soul/R&B/hip-hop/etc. albums in recent memory what else is there to do? Where can you go from there? Well…you could always re-up with an even bigger, better and doper version. That’s exactly Nikkiya’s plan as she prepares to release an Overloaded version of her SpeakHer album, and leading the charge is new single Alibi. Produced by constant beatmaking partner WillPower (of SupaHotBeats), Alibi blends what sounds like classical piano and harpsichord strings with a strictly hip-hop percussion line, resulting in a subtly dark yet still head-nodding instrumental. For her part, Nikkiya brings both her pen and unique vocal style to the cut, demanding that a lost lover account for his criminally romantic negligence: “Your fingers all on my body, now that’s all gone, disappeared.” (Note to all the guys out there, I wouldn’t mess with Nikkiya. I just wouldn’t.) For more fearlessly original music be sure to cop the SpeakHer Overload album via DJBooth on May 1, and in the meantime those caught sleeping can stream and download the original for free right now. You’re welcome.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I Was High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.