I was going to begin this write-up by saying “Nikki Lynette’s use of Marilyn Manson’s The Beautiful People is the most unexpected sample/interpolation I’ve heard in months”, but then I remember the last time we heard from the Chicago singer/rapper/modern day renaissance woman she was sampling The Family Guy, so…… Frequent collaborator and production Matt Hennessey mans the boards here, grabbing Manson’s pounding drums for the song’s foundation before laying down some crunching guitar work, while on the mic Nikki fires some high-caliber, quickly rhymes shots at all the fronters and fakers out there who suddenly turn timid when face-to-face with her: “My mouth is a threat and I’m gonna let it bang / 20s in the clip I will fire away.” Those in the mood for generic music will find themselves fleeing for the hills, but everyone else? We’ll find out soon in the moments below. Those looking for more Lynette in their lives will want to check out the new video for The Beautiful People, as well as keep an eye out for her Roses N’ Guns 2: The BADDER ASSED Mixtape That Rocks, dropping later this month via DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/4/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.