Most of us have at least one friend or family member who we can count on to provide rock-solid, no-nonsense advice when we’re in need – but how many of those wise souls can deliver their insights over a dope beat they put together themselves, complete with kick-ass guitar solo? None? I thought so. On EP title track The Strong Survive (making its world premiere in the Booth), Chi-town Rennaissance musician Nikki Lynette does what the rest can’t and gives us the straight dope in musical form; over her own adrenaline-pumping rock-meets-soul boardwork, the singer/songwriter/femcee/producer delivers a stern warning against codependency, advising us to “grow a thicker skin” in case those we love let us down. Even if worst does come to worst, though, we have to be able to let it go: “Happiness has a price, and the price is forgiveness – a grudge is a vice.” Digging this track’s combo of lyrical wisdom and energy? You’ll be able to find The Strong Survive and much more on the artist’s EP of the same name, set to be released September 14.
Written by richard on 08/3/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.