Most of us have at least one friend or family member who we can count on to provide rock-solid, no-nonsense advice when we’re in need – but how many of those wise souls can deliver their insights over a dope beat they put together themselves, complete with kick-ass guitar solo? None? I thought so. On EP title track The Strong Survive (making its world premiere in the Booth), Chi-town Rennaissance musician Nikki Lynette does what the rest can’t and gives us the straight dope in musical form; over her own adrenaline-pumping rock-meets-soul boardwork, the singer/songwriter/femcee/producer delivers a stern warning against codependency, advising us to “grow a thicker skin” in case those we love let us down. Even if worst does come to worst, though, we have to be able to let it go: “Happiness has a price, and the price is forgiveness – a grudge is a vice.” Digging this track’s combo of lyrical wisdom and energy? You’ll be able to find The Strong Survive and much more on the artist’s EP of the same name, set to be released September 14.
Written by richard on 08/3/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.