Most of us have at least one friend or family member who we can count on to provide rock-solid, no-nonsense advice when we’re in need – but how many of those wise souls can deliver their insights over a dope beat they put together themselves, complete with kick-ass guitar solo? None? I thought so. On EP title track The Strong Survive (making its world premiere in the Booth), Chi-town Rennaissance musician Nikki Lynette does what the rest can’t and gives us the straight dope in musical form; over her own adrenaline-pumping rock-meets-soul boardwork, the singer/songwriter/femcee/producer delivers a stern warning against codependency, advising us to “grow a thicker skin” in case those we love let us down. Even if worst does come to worst, though, we have to be able to let it go: “Happiness has a price, and the price is forgiveness – a grudge is a vice.” Digging this track’s combo of lyrical wisdom and energy? You’ll be able to find The Strong Survive and much more on the artist’s EP of the same name, set to be released September 14.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.