Most of us have at least one friend or family member who we can count on to provide rock-solid, no-nonsense advice when we’re in need – but how many of those wise souls can deliver their insights over a dope beat they put together themselves, complete with kick-ass guitar solo? None? I thought so. On EP title track The Strong Survive (making its world premiere in the Booth), Chi-town Rennaissance musician Nikki Lynette does what the rest can’t and gives us the straight dope in musical form; over her own adrenaline-pumping rock-meets-soul boardwork, the singer/songwriter/femcee/producer delivers a stern warning against codependency, advising us to “grow a thicker skin” in case those we love let us down. Even if worst does come to worst, though, we have to be able to let it go: “Happiness has a price, and the price is forgiveness – a grudge is a vice.” Digging this track’s combo of lyrical wisdom and energy? You’ll be able to find The Strong Survive and much more on the artist’s EP of the same name, set to be released September 14.
Written by richard on 08/3/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.