Other than setting fire to our SXSW stage (figuratively speaking, although some fire breathing would have been cool) last month, it’s been a minute since we’ve heard from Chicago’s rising queen of rock/soul/rap/punk/polka/etc, Nikki Lynette. But never fear fans, since she last Gave ‘Em Hell Nikki’s been hard at work on a new project, the first fruits of which you’re now biting into with the world premiere of new single Pick a Side. In not-so-typical Lynette fashion, Pick a Side finds the headliner and frequent collaborator Matt Hennessey joining forced behind the boards to create a guitar infused anthem to the broken hearted. Vocally Nikki switches with ease between a strongly sung hook and conversationally rapped lyrics, while guest feature and usual crooner Dwele stretches the boundaries of his vocal cords as well by delivering some slowly flowed bars. With eclecticism like this there’s no telling what Ms. Lynette’s upcoming, DJBooth and Digiwaxx sponsored, impressively titled Roses N’ Guns 2: The BADDER ASSED Mixtape That Rocks will sound like – we’ll just have to wait until May 18 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.