Other than setting fire to our SXSW stage (figuratively speaking, although some fire breathing would have been cool) last month, it’s been a minute since we’ve heard from Chicago’s rising queen of rock/soul/rap/punk/polka/etc, Nikki Lynette. But never fear fans, since she last Gave ‘Em Hell Nikki’s been hard at work on a new project, the first fruits of which you’re now biting into with the world premiere of new single Pick a Side. In not-so-typical Lynette fashion, Pick a Side finds the headliner and frequent collaborator Matt Hennessey joining forced behind the boards to create a guitar infused anthem to the broken hearted. Vocally Nikki switches with ease between a strongly sung hook and conversationally rapped lyrics, while guest feature and usual crooner Dwele stretches the boundaries of his vocal cords as well by delivering some slowly flowed bars. With eclecticism like this there’s no telling what Ms. Lynette’s upcoming, DJBooth and Digiwaxx sponsored, impressively titled Roses N’ Guns 2: The BADDER ASSED Mixtape That Rocks will sound like – we’ll just have to wait until May 18 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing to Worry About [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)