An up-and-coming femcee with a left-of-center musical sensibility? And her name’s Nikki?! OK, relax – as Nikki Lynette assures us on her first feature (making its world premiere in the Booth!), there’s absolutely Nothing to Worry About. Far from being a Minaj-biter, this Windy City-based rapper/singer/songwriter/producer comes with an eccentrically appealing style all her own. Here, an off-kilter instrumental from indie rock group Peter Bjorn and John‘s single of the same name sounds as Nikki toots her own horn “like [she] was born playin’ trumpet.” On the guest tip, fellow Chi-town representative GLC serves up some similarly out of this world braggadocio, playing up his female appeal in “Chuch!”-laced bars. So, readers, does this rising star have the skills to set herself apart from the pack? If you think so, don’t fret – you’ll be able to hear plenty more new music from Nikki Lynette on her DJBooth.net-hosted Roses N’ Guns mixtape, set to hit our front page May 18.
Written by richard on 04/27/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beneath My City [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.