An up-and-coming femcee with a left-of-center musical sensibility? And her name’s Nikki?! OK, relax – as Nikki Lynette assures us on her first feature (making its world premiere in the Booth!), there’s absolutely Nothing to Worry About. Far from being a Minaj-biter, this Windy City-based rapper/singer/songwriter/producer comes with an eccentrically appealing style all her own. Here, an off-kilter instrumental from indie rock group Peter Bjorn and John‘s single of the same name sounds as Nikki toots her own horn “like [she] was born playin’ trumpet.” On the guest tip, fellow Chi-town representative GLC serves up some similarly out of this world braggadocio, playing up his female appeal in “Chuch!”-laced bars. So, readers, does this rising star have the skills to set herself apart from the pack? If you think so, don’t fret – you’ll be able to hear plenty more new music from Nikki Lynette on her DJBooth.net-hosted Roses N’ Guns mixtape, set to hit our front page May 18.
Written by richard on 04/27/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beneath My City [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.