An up-and-coming femcee with a left-of-center musical sensibility? And her name’s Nikki?! OK, relax – as Nikki Lynette assures us on her first feature (making its world premiere in the Booth!), there’s absolutely Nothing to Worry About. Far from being a Minaj-biter, this Windy City-based rapper/singer/songwriter/producer comes with an eccentrically appealing style all her own. Here, an off-kilter instrumental from indie rock group Peter Bjorn and John‘s single of the same name sounds as Nikki toots her own horn “like [she] was born playin’ trumpet.” On the guest tip, fellow Chi-town representative GLC serves up some similarly out of this world braggadocio, playing up his female appeal in “Chuch!”-laced bars. So, readers, does this rising star have the skills to set herself apart from the pack? If you think so, don’t fret – you’ll be able to hear plenty more new music from Nikki Lynette on her DJBooth.net-hosted Roses N’ Guns mixtape, set to hit our front page May 18.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beneath My City [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!