An up-and-coming femcee with a left-of-center musical sensibility? And her name’s Nikki?! OK, relax – as Nikki Lynette assures us on her first feature (making its world premiere in the Booth!), there’s absolutely Nothing to Worry About. Far from being a Minaj-biter, this Windy City-based rapper/singer/songwriter/producer comes with an eccentrically appealing style all her own. Here, an off-kilter instrumental from indie rock group Peter Bjorn and John‘s single of the same name sounds as Nikki toots her own horn “like [she] was born playin’ trumpet.” On the guest tip, fellow Chi-town representative GLC serves up some similarly out of this world braggadocio, playing up his female appeal in “Chuch!”-laced bars. So, readers, does this rising star have the skills to set herself apart from the pack? If you think so, don’t fret – you’ll be able to hear plenty more new music from Nikki Lynette on her DJBooth.net-hosted Roses N’ Guns mixtape, set to hit our front page May 18.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beneath My City [Premiere]" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.