An up-and-coming femcee with a left-of-center musical sensibility? And her name’s Nikki?! OK, relax – as Nikki Lynette assures us on her first feature (making its world premiere in the Booth!), there’s absolutely Nothing to Worry About. Far from being a Minaj-biter, this Windy City-based rapper/singer/songwriter/producer comes with an eccentrically appealing style all her own. Here, an off-kilter instrumental from indie rock group Peter Bjorn and John‘s single of the same name sounds as Nikki toots her own horn “like [she] was born playin’ trumpet.” On the guest tip, fellow Chi-town representative GLC serves up some similarly out of this world braggadocio, playing up his female appeal in “Chuch!”-laced bars. So, readers, does this rising star have the skills to set herself apart from the pack? If you think so, don’t fret – you’ll be able to hear plenty more new music from Nikki Lynette on her DJBooth.net-hosted Roses N’ Guns mixtape, set to hit our front page May 18.
Written by richard on 04/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beneath My City [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.