Lupe Fiasco sure knows how to pick ‘em—by “‘em,” I mean up-and-coming female singer-songwriters whose talents deserve a national platform. Though she took a little longer to make her solo Booth debut than Words I Never Said hook woman Skylar Grey, Little Weapon/Hip-Hop Saved My Life collaborator Nikki Jean demonstrates equally strong potential on Million Star Hotel, a luxuriously-titled standout off her newly-released debut full-length. Here, space-age doo-wop-meets-modern-indie grooves collide with Beatles-esque melodies as the St. Paul representative (Twin Cities what up!) laces Sam Hollander‘s lush production with blissed-out lyrical imagery. Though I wouldn’t have complained about listening to Jean’s breathy, understated brand of vocal smoothness for the full record, there’s no arguing with the quality of this cut’s guest muscle; Fiasco returns the favor on the middle, and Roots frontman Black Thought caps the cut off with a humble, reflective closing 16. Has this dreamy selection left you intrigued? There’s plenty more where this came from on Nikki Jean’s Pennies in a Jar LP, released today and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 07/12/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.