Lupe Fiasco sure knows how to pick ‘em—by “‘em,” I mean up-and-coming female singer-songwriters whose talents deserve a national platform. Though she took a little longer to make her solo Booth debut than Words I Never Said hook woman Skylar Grey, Little Weapon/Hip-Hop Saved My Life collaborator Nikki Jean demonstrates equally strong potential on Million Star Hotel, a luxuriously-titled standout off her newly-released debut full-length. Here, space-age doo-wop-meets-modern-indie grooves collide with Beatles-esque melodies as the St. Paul representative (Twin Cities what up!) laces Sam Hollander‘s lush production with blissed-out lyrical imagery. Though I wouldn’t have complained about listening to Jean’s breathy, understated brand of vocal smoothness for the full record, there’s no arguing with the quality of this cut’s guest muscle; Fiasco returns the favor on the middle, and Roots frontman Black Thought caps the cut off with a humble, reflective closing 16. Has this dreamy selection left you intrigued? There’s plenty more where this came from on Nikki Jean’s Pennies in a Jar LP, released today and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 07/12/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.