Lupe Fiasco sure knows how to pick ‘em—by “‘em,” I mean up-and-coming female singer-songwriters whose talents deserve a national platform. Though she took a little longer to make her solo Booth debut than Words I Never Said hook woman Skylar Grey, Little Weapon/Hip-Hop Saved My Life collaborator Nikki Jean demonstrates equally strong potential on Million Star Hotel, a luxuriously-titled standout off her newly-released debut full-length. Here, space-age doo-wop-meets-modern-indie grooves collide with Beatles-esque melodies as the St. Paul representative (Twin Cities what up!) laces Sam Hollander‘s lush production with blissed-out lyrical imagery. Though I wouldn’t have complained about listening to Jean’s breathy, understated brand of vocal smoothness for the full record, there’s no arguing with the quality of this cut’s guest muscle; Fiasco returns the favor on the middle, and Roots frontman Black Thought caps the cut off with a humble, reflective closing 16. Has this dreamy selection left you intrigued? There’s plenty more where this came from on Nikki Jean’s Pennies in a Jar LP, released today and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 07/12/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.