People obviously love talking about Nicki Minaj, and looking at Nicki Minaj, but it’s starting to look like they may not be so interested in listening to Nicki Minaj. Despite a tsunami of hype, Minaj’s lead single Massive Attack has more or less flopped on the charts (and in the Booth). Unfortunately, I don’t really think her new single Your Love is going to help turn the tide. Your Love is as close to a slow jam as Nicki’s going to get, with producer Papa Justifi [of the Knightwritaz] flipping an Annie Lennox sample into a softly echoing track that Nicki fills with some of the slowest, most subdued rhymes we’ve ever heard from the usually schizophrenic emcee. Plus she decides to take on hook duties; not a lot of good decisions being made on this one. Then again, I’ve been wrong before (there was this one time…). As always, I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide Your Love’s final fate. Either way, without a hit single, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nicki’s currently untitled debut album gets pushed back from its late summer release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.