People obviously love talking about Nicki Minaj, and looking at Nicki Minaj, but it’s starting to look like they may not be so interested in listening to Nicki Minaj. Despite a tsunami of hype, Minaj’s lead single Massive Attack has more or less flopped on the charts (and in the Booth). Unfortunately, I don’t really think her new single Your Love is going to help turn the tide. Your Love is as close to a slow jam as Nicki’s going to get, with producer Papa Justifi [of the Knightwritaz] flipping an Annie Lennox sample into a softly echoing track that Nicki fills with some of the slowest, most subdued rhymes we’ve ever heard from the usually schizophrenic emcee. Plus she decides to take on hook duties; not a lot of good decisions being made on this one. Then again, I’ve been wrong before (there was this one time…). As always, I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide Your Love’s final fate. Either way, without a hit single, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nicki’s currently untitled debut album gets pushed back from its late summer release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)