For many years, rap has been predominantly a men’s game but, with the ascent of Nicki Minaj to the upper echelons of pop stardom, that’s begun to change. Today, on the latest single off her forthcoming album re-release, the Harajuku Barbie hooks up with pop songstress Cassie to weigh in on The Boys in the industry. Over an unpredictable mix of synth swoops, syncopated percussion and gurgling acoustic-guitar arpeggios by Jonas Jeberg (of Big Noize Productions) and Jean Baptiste (of Free School Music), Minaj makes clear that she’s not about to let any dude trifle with her: “I don’t even brake when I’m backin’ up / I swerve on a n*gga if he actin’ up.” On the chorus, the Bad Boy first lady paints a portrait that resembles quite a few popular male artists I can think of: “You get high, f**k a bunch of girls / And then cry on top of the world..” For more fresh cuts, including a collaboration with Young Money boss Weezy, check out Pink Friday Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up when it hits online retailers and record store shelves in November. Additionally, fans worldwide will be able to catch Nicki live starting October 21, when she kicks off her internatinoal tour in Nottimngham, UK.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.