For many years, rap has been predominantly a men’s game but, with the ascent of Nicki Minaj to the upper echelons of pop stardom, that’s begun to change. Today, on the latest single off her forthcoming album re-release, the Harajuku Barbie hooks up with pop songstress Cassie to weigh in on The Boys in the industry. Over an unpredictable mix of synth swoops, syncopated percussion and gurgling acoustic-guitar arpeggios by Jonas Jeberg (of Big Noize Productions) and Jean Baptiste (of Free School Music), Minaj makes clear that she’s not about to let any dude trifle with her: “I don’t even brake when I’m backin’ up / I swerve on a n*gga if he actin’ up.” On the chorus, the Bad Boy first lady paints a portrait that resembles quite a few popular male artists I can think of: “You get high, f**k a bunch of girls / And then cry on top of the world..” For more fresh cuts, including a collaboration with Young Money boss Weezy, check out Pink Friday Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up when it hits online retailers and record store shelves in November. Additionally, fans worldwide will be able to catch Nicki live starting October 21, when she kicks off her internatinoal tour in Nottimngham, UK.
Written by richard on 09/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.