For many years, rap has been predominantly a men’s game but, with the ascent of Nicki Minaj to the upper echelons of pop stardom, that’s begun to change. Today, on the latest single off her forthcoming album re-release, the Harajuku Barbie hooks up with pop songstress Cassie to weigh in on The Boys in the industry. Over an unpredictable mix of synth swoops, syncopated percussion and gurgling acoustic-guitar arpeggios by Jonas Jeberg (of Big Noize Productions) and Jean Baptiste (of Free School Music), Minaj makes clear that she’s not about to let any dude trifle with her: “I don’t even brake when I’m backin’ up / I swerve on a n*gga if he actin’ up.” On the chorus, the Bad Boy first lady paints a portrait that resembles quite a few popular male artists I can think of: “You get high, f**k a bunch of girls / And then cry on top of the world..” For more fresh cuts, including a collaboration with Young Money boss Weezy, check out Pink Friday Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up when it hits online retailers and record store shelves in November. Additionally, fans worldwide will be able to catch Nicki live starting October 21, when she kicks off her internatinoal tour in Nottimngham, UK.
Written by richard on 09/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.