The Booth reaction to Roman in Moscow, the lead single off Nicki Minaj‘s sophomore set, was polarizing to say the least. While several die-hards came through with five-star reviews, many reacted to the noisy production, absurd lyrics and over-the-top delivery with confusion and annoyance. Rather than following it up with something a little more pop-appealing, the femcee seems to be doubling down with the project’s latest promo single, which finds her voicing her contempt for a certain Stupid Hoe whose name rhymes with, uh, “Lil Pim.” T. Dunham takes an ultra-minimal approach on the production tip, pairing incessantly-pounding percussion with an equally incessant “woop” sound (I’m not sure what else to call it) as Zolanski busts out every vocal quirk in her repertoire. Lyrically, Minaj keeps it schizophrenic as usual, ricocheting between pointed barbs (“Hey yo, Baby Bop, f*ck yo and your EP.”) and anatomically improbable weirdness (“You could suck my diznick, if you take these jizzes.”) and capping the record off with the perhaps-untimely boast, “I am the female Weezy.” Digging it? You can cop Stupid Hoes now on iTunes, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, due out on Valentine’s Day 2012.
Written by richard on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.