The Booth reaction to Roman in Moscow, the lead single off Nicki Minaj‘s sophomore set, was polarizing to say the least. While several die-hards came through with five-star reviews, many reacted to the noisy production, absurd lyrics and over-the-top delivery with confusion and annoyance. Rather than following it up with something a little more pop-appealing, the femcee seems to be doubling down with the project’s latest promo single, which finds her voicing her contempt for a certain Stupid Hoe whose name rhymes with, uh, “Lil Pim.” T. Dunham takes an ultra-minimal approach on the production tip, pairing incessantly-pounding percussion with an equally incessant “woop” sound (I’m not sure what else to call it) as Zolanski busts out every vocal quirk in her repertoire. Lyrically, Minaj keeps it schizophrenic as usual, ricocheting between pointed barbs (“Hey yo, Baby Bop, f*ck yo and your EP.”) and anatomically improbable weirdness (“You could suck my diznick, if you take these jizzes.”) and capping the record off with the perhaps-untimely boast, “I am the female Weezy.” Digging it? You can cop Stupid Hoes now on iTunes, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, due out on Valentine’s Day 2012.
Written by richard on 12/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.