Other than Drake’s Thank Me Later, no other album in 2010 will be as highly (and insanely) anticipated as Nicki Minaj’s debut effort. So it’s no wonder that the internet has been all atwitter (pun intended) after the world’s most mentally unstable Barbie finally dropped the official version of the album’s lead single, Massive Attack, today. What are people talking about? Well, they’re certainly talking about the production and hook work of Sean Garrett, who here crafts an appropriately skittering, post-apocalyptic beat, but predictably most of the debate surrounds Nicki’s verses, which in typically schizophrenic Nicki style fluctuate wildly from smooth punchlines to intensely aggressive threats. In other words, it’s exactly what people love, or hate, or love to hate about Nicki’s rhyme style. So, does Massive Attack point in the direction of a hit - or a flop - for Nicki when she finally drops her untitled debut album this summer? I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide. Have at it people.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.