Other than Drake’s Thank Me Later, no other album in 2010 will be as highly (and insanely) anticipated as Nicki Minaj’s debut effort. So it’s no wonder that the internet has been all atwitter (pun intended) after the world’s most mentally unstable Barbie finally dropped the official version of the album’s lead single, Massive Attack, today. What are people talking about? Well, they’re certainly talking about the production and hook work of Sean Garrett, who here crafts an appropriately skittering, post-apocalyptic beat, but predictably most of the debate surrounds Nicki’s verses, which in typically schizophrenic Nicki style fluctuate wildly from smooth punchlines to intensely aggressive threats. In other words, it’s exactly what people love, or hate, or love to hate about Nicki’s rhyme style. So, does Massive Attack point in the direction of a hit - or a flop - for Nicki when she finally drops her untitled debut album this summer? I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide. Have at it people.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.