Nicki Minaj isn’t typically regarded as a progressive leader but, in addition to paving the way for a new generation of female hip-hop artists, she’s broken down a few walls I didn’t even realize existed: before she hit the scene, who could have imagined a female emcee adopting a gay, male alter ego, or threatening to whip her d**k out in the haters’ faces? On the latest song release off her forthcoming Roman Reloaded re-release, Minaj gives herself a pat on the back for her contributions to human Freedom and brushes off those who don’t appreciate her, showcasing a characteristically pop-appealing mix of sung and flowed vocals over Boi-1da‘s sweeping, synth-anthemic boardwork. For this rousing jam and much more, check out Pink Friday Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up when it hits record stores and online retailers November 19, via YMCMB/Universal Republic.
Written by richard on 11/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.