Today, hip-hop heads across the Interwebs are hotly debating whether Nicki Minaj‘s robot ninja-meets-giant pile of cotton candy VMA getup was Fly or just plain weird (Put me down for “All of the above”). I can say without reservation, however, that the Harajuku Barbie’s latest single is the former—y’know, because that’s its title and all. Minaj’s stab at an Inspirational Anthem, this “Ready for Radio” (according to our own Nathan S’ album review) jam finds J.R. Rotem serving up some appropriately soaring synth boardwork as the First Lady of Young Money drops bars both lofty and characteristically quirky: “I am not a word, I am not a line / I am not a girl that can ever be defined / I am not fly, I am levitation / I am the voice of an entire generation.” Rihanna adds to the uplifting ambiance on the guest tip, tying the record together with some fittingly powerful chorus vocals. In addition to picking up a copy of Minaj’s Pink Friday LP if you haven’t already, you can peep Fly‘s official video (premiered as part of MTV’s VMA campaign) courtesy of DJBoothTV. Watch for the record to hit iTunes and radio this Tuesday.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Hip-hop has never been more Republican. The game’s always fueled intense debate – who’s better, LL Cool J or Canibus? Who’s hotter, Lil Kim or Foxy Brown? Whose man boobs are bigger, Rick Ross or Fat Joe? - but in...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.