Today, hip-hop heads across the Interwebs are hotly debating whether Nicki Minaj‘s robot ninja-meets-giant pile of cotton candy VMA getup was Fly or just plain weird (Put me down for “All of the above”). I can say without reservation, however, that the Harajuku Barbie’s latest single is the former—y’know, because that’s its title and all. Minaj’s stab at an Inspirational Anthem, this “Ready for Radio” (according to our own Nathan S’ album review) jam finds J.R. Rotem serving up some appropriately soaring synth boardwork as the First Lady of Young Money drops bars both lofty and characteristically quirky: “I am not a word, I am not a line / I am not a girl that can ever be defined / I am not fly, I am levitation / I am the voice of an entire generation.” Rihanna adds to the uplifting ambiance on the guest tip, tying the record together with some fittingly powerful chorus vocals. In addition to picking up a copy of Minaj’s Pink Friday LP if you haven’t already, you can peep Fly‘s official video (premiered as part of MTV’s VMA campaign) courtesy of DJBoothTV. Watch for the record to hit iTunes and radio this Tuesday.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.