Today, hip-hop heads across the Interwebs are hotly debating whether Nicki Minaj‘s robot ninja-meets-giant pile of cotton candy VMA getup was Fly or just plain weird (Put me down for “All of the above”). I can say without reservation, however, that the Harajuku Barbie’s latest single is the former—y’know, because that’s its title and all. Minaj’s stab at an Inspirational Anthem, this “Ready for Radio” (according to our own Nathan S’ album review) jam finds J.R. Rotem serving up some appropriately soaring synth boardwork as the First Lady of Young Money drops bars both lofty and characteristically quirky: “I am not a word, I am not a line / I am not a girl that can ever be defined / I am not fly, I am levitation / I am the voice of an entire generation.” Rihanna adds to the uplifting ambiance on the guest tip, tying the record together with some fittingly powerful chorus vocals. In addition to picking up a copy of Minaj’s Pink Friday LP if you haven’t already, you can peep Fly‘s official video (premiered as part of MTV’s VMA campaign) courtesy of DJBoothTV. Watch for the record to hit iTunes and radio this Tuesday.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.