Nicki Minaj may hail from Jamaica, Queens, but on her latest feature she does a little live reporting from the capital of the Midwest. Chi-Raq finds the YMCMB hitmaker prowling the mean streets of the Windy City, which have claimed more American lives than the Iraq War since the Bush years. While she keeps her social commentary largely between the lines, the cut’s gritty subject matter offers her an excuse to go harder than usual on the mic. Notably, she takes the opportunity to make a few provocative comments on the controversy that swirled around her last single, Lookin’ Ass N*gga: “Malcolm X daughter came at me, lookin’ ass n**gas ain’t happy.” Lil Herb, a Windy City local, jumps on the ominous Boi-1da/Vinylz/Allen Ritter beat to deliver the final verse. The Pink Print has yet to receive a drop date, but Roman Zolanski fans won’t have to wait long for more new music. Nicki plans to release a fresh record each week leading up to the project’s eventual arrival.
Written by richard on 04/8/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.