Lollipop wielding, controversy stirring, eagle stance posing Nicki Minaj is everywhere. She may not be Mrs. Aubrey Drake Graham (a rumor recently started from a post on her Twitter page), but Minaj seems to be managing plenty of success on her own. It’s hard to deny that Nicki’s spotlight is bright, but it seems like this Young Money princess’ future is even brighter. Check It Out is Ms. Minaj’s way of making it known that she is on the scene whether you like or not, and you better get used to it: “Stepped up in the party like my name was ‘that b*tch’ / All these haters mad because I’m so established.” Behind the boards, the signature will.i.am production style is evident throughout as the bouncing, heavily pop-influenced beat and high-pitched chorus offset Minaj’s fast-paced lyrics and heavy vocal tone, resulting in a song that has commercial appeal smothered all over it. Check It Out is rumored to be Minaj’s new single of her upcoming album, Pink Friday (set to drop November 23), and is sure to be on radio repeat for some time to come.
Written by Aisha Khan on 09/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.