Lollipop wielding, controversy stirring, eagle stance posing Nicki Minaj is everywhere. She may not be Mrs. Aubrey Drake Graham (a rumor recently started from a post on her Twitter page), but Minaj seems to be managing plenty of success on her own. It’s hard to deny that Nicki’s spotlight is bright, but it seems like this Young Money princess’ future is even brighter. Check It Out is Ms. Minaj’s way of making it known that she is on the scene whether you like or not, and you better get used to it: “Stepped up in the party like my name was ‘that b*tch’ / All these haters mad because I’m so established.” Behind the boards, the signature will.i.am production style is evident throughout as the bouncing, heavily pop-influenced beat and high-pitched chorus offset Minaj’s fast-paced lyrics and heavy vocal tone, resulting in a song that has commercial appeal smothered all over it. Check It Out is rumored to be Minaj’s new single of her upcoming album, Pink Friday (set to drop November 23), and is sure to be on radio repeat for some time to come.
Written by Aisha Khan on 09/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.