Update: Click “Listen Now above to watch Nicki’s Benny Boom-directed “Beez In The Trap” video.
Nicki Minaj is indisputably many things: an international superstar, an avant-garde fashionista, a Roman-Catholic heretic, but the debate lately revolves around one question – is she still a rapper? While seemingly moving to the pop side of the musical spectrum with previous release Starships, Nicki continues to push her “rap” roots on her latest single. In fact, she’s in it so deep that she Beez in the Trap. Producer Kenoe provides a spacier and snappier beat than might be expected on a trap song, but Nicki’s nothing if not a defier of expectations, even taking her foot of the gas when it comes to her mic delivery, putting aside her usually schizophrenic rhyme style in favor of a mellow, almost spoken style. It’s a calming effect that even rubs off on the suddenly ascendant 2 Chainz, who layers his verse with no shortage of loud smoking and slow drinking. So how about it DJBooth Nation? Do you think this is the kind of record that will have the trap running to cop Nicki’s Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded album when it drops on April 3?
Written by Nathan S. on 04/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Get Crazy ft. Lil Wayne" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.