Pink Floyd’s Shine On (You Crazy Diamond) was an epic, nine-part composition dedicated to former band member Syd Barrett, whose heavy use of LSD had driven him permanently over the edge. Heavy stuff. Thankfully, this Shine On, the inaugural leak off Nickelus F.‘s forthcoming street album, is both shorter and much less depressing, though C4‘s sampled boardwork retains a little bit of that inimitable Pink Floyd gloom. Over the Wisguy Productions beatsmith’s classic rock backdrop, the Richmond, Va. up-and-comer (and freestyle series alum) chronicles his artistic grind in measured but intense opening and closing bars, and house favorite XV laces the track’s middle portion with a characteristically engaging mix of wit, nostalgia and insight: “I ain’t a bad kid but mama said ‘Stay grounded;’ Now I miss the room I used to write in when [I was] grounded.” If this spacey, unconventionally fresh mixtape banger piques your interest, you’ll most definitely want to tune in to Nickelus F.‘s channel in early May, when his latest street album is set to make its Season Premiere.
Written by richard on 03/21/10
Submit your Rating
Rayni Day Ent
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look At The Ice ft. Drake" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.