Here’s a hip-hop koan for you: if bling shines on a rapper’s neck and no one’s around to be dazzled, doesn’t that kinda defeat the purpose of wearing it? Booth newcomer Nickelus F. seems to think so; on this unreleased cut (recorded for a collabo mixtape with Drake that never materialized), he kindly requests that all within eyeshot Look At The Ice on his wrist, ears, neck… well, pretty much everywhere. It might not be the freshest concept out there, but the colorful imagery the up-and-comer delivers here more than makes up for it—in the craziest diamond-related simile I’ve heard since Weezy bragged about having “red barf on [his] neck,” the Richmond emcee spits “Pink and yellow diamonds got me lookin’ like a grapefruit.” And “I draw eyes like I’m painting a face.” is too dope not to mention. Though I’d rank Nick as the lyrical MVP on this record, Drake’s Booth-acclaimed flow is sure to earn Look At The Ice a little extra shine, and Best I Ever Had producer Boi-1da’s brassy, bottom-heavy beat couldn’t be more fitting. If you find this cut as ear-catching as Nick F.‘s chains are eye-catching, check back with us this June for his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
Rayni Day Ent
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Comedy Central" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)