Here’s a hip-hop koan for you: if bling shines on a rapper’s neck and no one’s around to be dazzled, doesn’t that kinda defeat the purpose of wearing it? Booth newcomer Nickelus F. seems to think so; on this unreleased cut (recorded for a collabo mixtape with Drake that never materialized), he kindly requests that all within eyeshot Look At The Ice on his wrist, ears, neck… well, pretty much everywhere. It might not be the freshest concept out there, but the colorful imagery the up-and-comer delivers here more than makes up for it—in the craziest diamond-related simile I’ve heard since Weezy bragged about having “red barf on [his] neck,” the Richmond emcee spits “Pink and yellow diamonds got me lookin’ like a grapefruit.” And “I draw eyes like I’m painting a face.” is too dope not to mention. Though I’d rank Nick as the lyrical MVP on this record, Drake’s Booth-acclaimed flow is sure to earn Look At The Ice a little extra shine, and Best I Ever Had producer Boi-1da’s brassy, bottom-heavy beat couldn’t be more fitting. If you find this cut as ear-catching as Nick F.‘s chains are eye-catching, check back with us this June for his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
Rayni Day Ent
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Comedy Central" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.