Believe it or not, even an individual as fly and talented as Nick Pratt has his Vices. The follow-up to early May’s The South, the latest world premiere off his forthcoming street album finds the Lone Star State spitter reflecting on the various ways he’s allowed himself to stray from the straight and narrow, whether to beat stress or simply conform to social expectations. Over Cassius G.‘s mellow boardwork, driven by a sliced-and-diced sample from Erykah Badu‘s Time’s a Wasting, Pratt paints a picture of himself as an impressionable youngster lusting after the fresh sh*t his peers possessed. While rapping initially seemed like his ticket to material success, the demanding nature of the budding emcee’s hustle soon led him to turn to alcohol as a release valve and source of artistic inspiration: “It changed my whole life for the best and the worst / My highs and my lows and the fuel behind a verse or two…” After realizing that his dependence on the sauce was causing more problems than it solved, he ultimately turns to cannabis as a safer and less debilitating way of escaping his cares. Headphone-ready, down-to-earth and eminently relatable, Vices is just one of many quality cuts slated for inclusion on The Badu Sessions, which as yet lacks a drop date. Keep it locked for release details on the set, as well as the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 06/18/12
Submit your Rating
CSB Worldwide, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Feel Good" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.