They say that “nice guys finish last,” but who are “they,” anyways? A bunch of jerks? Nice guys talking about themselves in the third person? The world may never know. In any case, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free are four Niceguys who don’t need to worry about being on the wrong end of that aphorism; judging by their latest single and first DJBooth feature, Not at All, these Houston hopefuls are a good ways ahead of the pack. Here, Free’s soulfully-brassy, lushly-sampled instrumental groove sets the stage for some unapologetically braggadocious raps and soulful sung vocals from the Lone Star State crew. Emcee Yves shows himself to be no amateur on the mic, lacing the silky instrumental with a frantic, syncopated flurry of allusive punchlines and elaborate disses. So, Booth readers, are these guys as Nice (in the “talented” sense) as they clearly believe themselves to be? If this track’s made a fan out of you, you can hear more on their Green Room EP, dropped last December and available now online. Also, stay on the lookout for this cut’s official video accompaniment, coming soon!
Written by richard on 06/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mr. Perfect" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.