Back in early June, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free disproved that dusty aphorism about Niceguys finishing last, earning overwhelmingly positive reader reviews for mixtape leak Not at All. Today, the Lone Star State crew are back to defy expectations (and showcase their versatility) yet again with Mr. Perfect the lead single off their debut full-length. On this blazing-hot cut, the ‘guys hook up with guitarist James Kelley to craft one of the most blistering rock-influenced beats I’ve heard in a minute. Yves lives up to the record’s justifiably-arrogant title on the lyrical tip, alternating between larger-than-life braggadocio and complex lines like, “3:16, the Good Book’s most noted. With three 16s, a good hook: most quoted / Catechist, givin’ sacraments to those devoted, I swallow that and follow that like the Pope wrote it.” It’s not every day that you get to hear an emcee spit erudite Biblical allusions over grinding guitar work – actually, this is the first time I’ve heard anything like it. For more highly-original jams, check out The Show when it hits stores and online retailers September 28.
Written by richard on 08/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.