Back in early June, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free disproved that dusty aphorism about Niceguys finishing last, earning overwhelmingly positive reader reviews for mixtape leak Not at All. Today, the Lone Star State crew are back to defy expectations (and showcase their versatility) yet again with Mr. Perfect the lead single off their debut full-length. On this blazing-hot cut, the ‘guys hook up with guitarist James Kelley to craft one of the most blistering rock-influenced beats I’ve heard in a minute. Yves lives up to the record’s justifiably-arrogant title on the lyrical tip, alternating between larger-than-life braggadocio and complex lines like, “3:16, the Good Book’s most noted. With three 16s, a good hook: most quoted / Catechist, givin’ sacraments to those devoted, I swallow that and follow that like the Pope wrote it.” It’s not every day that you get to hear an emcee spit erudite Biblical allusions over grinding guitar work – actually, this is the first time I’ve heard anything like it. For more highly-original jams, check out The Show when it hits stores and online retailers September 28.
Written by richard on 08/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.