In their brand new exclusive DJBooth interview fast-rising Houston hip-hop crew The Niceguys said that their “music goes beyond coastal or regional boundaries.” They’re not lying. Having already dropped off the hard rock-edged Mr. Perfect and the celebratory soul of Not At All, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free have once again switched up their style on the smoky, mellowed out Good Shepherd. Behind the boards resident producer Christolph crafts a jazzy, meandering beat that brings in a horn section on the chorus (and, could it be? The second record to use a xylophone on the Booth today?), setting the stage for Niceguys’ microphone contingent to deliver bars as bold as they are lyrically subtle: “Few pauses here and there, a cool chorus / Call it my corporate calling card…Yves Saint’s the culprit.” Now that’s some mother**king alliteration. If you’re digging where The Niceguys are shepherding us, be sure to cop their upcoming album The Show, due out September 28, and keep an ear out for their upcoming exclusive DJBooth freestyle, coming “soon.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.