In their brand new exclusive DJBooth interview fast-rising Houston hip-hop crew The Niceguys said that their “music goes beyond coastal or regional boundaries.” They’re not lying. Having already dropped off the hard rock-edged Mr. Perfect and the celebratory soul of Not At All, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free have once again switched up their style on the smoky, mellowed out Good Shepherd. Behind the boards resident producer Christolph crafts a jazzy, meandering beat that brings in a horn section on the chorus (and, could it be? The second record to use a xylophone on the Booth today?), setting the stage for Niceguys’ microphone contingent to deliver bars as bold as they are lyrically subtle: “Few pauses here and there, a cool chorus / Call it my corporate calling card…Yves Saint’s the culprit.” Now that’s some mother**king alliteration. If you’re digging where The Niceguys are shepherding us, be sure to cop their upcoming album The Show, due out September 28, and keep an ear out for their upcoming exclusive DJBooth freestyle, coming “soon.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.