In their brand new exclusive DJBooth interview fast-rising Houston hip-hop crew The Niceguys said that their “music goes beyond coastal or regional boundaries.” They’re not lying. Having already dropped off the hard rock-edged Mr. Perfect and the celebratory soul of Not At All, Easy Yves Saint, DJ Candlestick, Christolph and Free have once again switched up their style on the smoky, mellowed out Good Shepherd. Behind the boards resident producer Christolph crafts a jazzy, meandering beat that brings in a horn section on the chorus (and, could it be? The second record to use a xylophone on the Booth today?), setting the stage for Niceguys’ microphone contingent to deliver bars as bold as they are lyrically subtle: “Few pauses here and there, a cool chorus / Call it my corporate calling card…Yves Saint’s the culprit.” Now that’s some mother**king alliteration. If you’re digging where The Niceguys are shepherding us, be sure to cop their upcoming album The Show, due out September 28, and keep an ear out for their upcoming exclusive DJBooth freestyle, coming “soon.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.