Every summer has its hip-hop fads, and, if Ben J and Legacy of the New Boyz have their way, ‘09’s is going to be ‘jerkin.’ For those who aren’t aware of the budding movement (we’re admittedly a little late to the party on this one), allow me to summarize: already a full-on epidemic among West Coast youth, the geeked-up dance craze is on the verge of becoming a national phenomenon, fueled by the Boyz’ regional hit You’re a Jerk. Those who follow my track reviews (much love!) know I’m not above the occasional juvenile wisecrack, so why have I avoided the blindingly obvious not-quite-double entendre? Well, the duo make the joke for me—spitting lines like “We pulled up to the party ices on my shirt and got geeked up everybody jerkin/ We was jerkin’ to the right jerkin’ to the left…” over Legacy’s own minimal, percussion-driven beat, the New Boyz have crafted an innuendo-laden cut that, in addition to being catchy as hell, is guaranteed to freak out PTA members nationwide. In fact, I’m tempted to pose as a concerned parent and pass this one along to Bill O’Reilly—the ensuing wave of faux-outrage may be just the thing to get the New Boyz’ currently-untitled debut LP a solid release date.
Listen to More: New Boyz
Written by richard on 05/26/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tie Me Down" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)