Every summer has its hip-hop fads, and, if Ben J and Legacy of the New Boyz have their way, ‘09’s is going to be ‘jerkin.’ For those who aren’t aware of the budding movement (we’re admittedly a little late to the party on this one), allow me to summarize: already a full-on epidemic among West Coast youth, the geeked-up dance craze is on the verge of becoming a national phenomenon, fueled by the Boyz’ regional hit You’re a Jerk. Those who follow my track reviews (much love!) know I’m not above the occasional juvenile wisecrack, so why have I avoided the blindingly obvious not-quite-double entendre? Well, the duo make the joke for me—spitting lines like “We pulled up to the party ices on my shirt and got geeked up everybody jerkin/ We was jerkin’ to the right jerkin’ to the left…” over Legacy’s own minimal, percussion-driven beat, the New Boyz have crafted an innuendo-laden cut that, in addition to being catchy as hell, is guaranteed to freak out PTA members nationwide. In fact, I’m tempted to pose as a concerned parent and pass this one along to Bill O’Reilly—the ensuing wave of faux-outrage may be just the thing to get the New Boyz’ currently-untitled debut LP a solid release date.
Written by richard on 05/26/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tie Me Down" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.