I was in 7th grade when I first heard Lapdance by N.E.R.D., the side project of super-producers The Neptunes. My life completely changed. For those of us misfits and outcasts, who skated around listening to Misfits and Outkast, N.E.R.D. were our voice, and my admiration for their boundary breaking ways is as strong as ever after hearing new releases Hot N’ Fun and Help Me Live. Comprised of childhood friends Shae Haley, Chad Hugo and Pharrell Williams, the band’s been known for merging various genres and it seems like Nothing has really changed on their new single Hypnotize U. French duo Daft Punk, best known stateside for their hit One More Time, provide the production, crafting a dulcifying melody with idiosyncratic hits and techno drums, while on the vocal side Pharrell hits us with a dose of his trademark falsetto vocals guaranteed to put any female companion into a state of ataraxia (look it up). Those finding themselves appropriately hypnotized should circle their calendars for November 2, when N.E.R.D. will have a whole lot more Nothing to offer the world.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everyone Nose" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.