As I wrote for his last album, Brass Knuckles, Nelly ironically suffers from Ashanti Syndrome, a condition that causes former superstars to become all but forgotten for no discernible reason. Not much has changed in the year-plus since we heard from Nelly – he’s still looking for a single that will re-launch his career to its former stratospheric heights. Will his new single Tippin in the Club be that single? Honestly? Probably not, although it will get the ladies dancing in the aforementioned club, and that has to be considered a good thing. Lyrically the St. Louis godfather drops the same catchy rap-singing hybrid we’ve been hearing since Country Grammar, but unfortunately his work on the mic gets somewhat drowned out by a supremely energetic beat from Dutch & Juke Box. Then again, I’ve been wrong before. Maybe the Booth has found its new club tippin anthem. We’ll find out soon. Nelly’s next real attempt at dominating the charts once again will come on September 12, when he releases his new album Nelly 5.0. Hey, the fifth time’s the charm, right?
Written by Nathan S. on 07/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Throw Some D's (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.